Get to know La Canada
The communities of La Canada and Flintridge were joined in 1976. La Canada is approximately 15 miles Northeast of Los Angeles, in unincorporated Los Angeles County, Northwest of Pasadena and East of La Crescenta. To the North, it is bordered by the Angeles National Forest. Appreciated for its rural atmosphere and homes on larger lots, residents often joke that it’s similar to the fictional Mayberry.
WHY IS LA CANADA REAL ESTATE SO EXPENSIVE?
The 8 ½ mile town boasts a low crime rate and award winning public schools which is one reason Phyllis and her family moved here more than twenty years ago. The community offers a convenient commute to most areas of Los Angeles.
- La Canada Flintridge Chamber of Commerce
- La Canada Flintridge Library
Things to do for free!
- Angeles National Forest – This is where Phyllis used to take her daughters to the snow.
- Farmer’s Market – Saturday from 9 AM to 1 PM at 1300 Foothill Blvd., across the street from Memorial Park. Phyllis’s favorite time to go is around 8 A.M. when everyone is just setting up; no crowds and easy parking. Hahamonga, aka Oakgrove Park, located across the street from La Canada High.
- La Canada Trails – Hiking and horseback riding.
- Memorial Park – Located at the intersection of Foothill Blvd. and La Canada Blvd. boasts both children and toddler’s play areas and the site for free summer “Music in the Park” concerts.
More Thing To Do
- La Canada Community Center
Programs from pre-school through seniors, including ballroom dance, ceramics and more.
- Descanso Gardens
1418 Descanso Drive, La Canada
- Lanterman House
4420 Encinas Drive, La Canada
Historic home built in 1915 by a member La Canada’s founding Lanterman family.
Clubs And Organization
- Flint Canyon Tennis Club
- Flintridge Riding Club
Phyllis’s daughters rode here until junior high. Riding lessons, boarding, riding arenas, social events and horse shows. Even if you aren’t members you can still take the kids here for the horse shows.
- La Canada Flintridge Country Club
Phyllis’s daughters learned to swim here and the club has reduced pricing for summer pool memberships.
- YMCA Crescenta/Canada
- Assistance League of Foothill
- Descanso Gardens
- La Canada Flintridge Tournament of Roses Association
- La Canada Presbyterian Church
- Saint Bede’s Catholic Church
- Saint George’s Episcopal Church
- Child Educational Center
- The Learning Castle, 4 years – 8th grade
- Tom Sawyer Camp, 3 years – 9th grade. This was a favorite of Phyllis’s daughters – sign up early!
- YMCA Summer Camp
- Hill Street Café (their breakfast sandwich is great!)
- The Proper
- Min’s Kitchen, Penelope’s Café and Books, Taylor’s Steak House, Sakura and Cafe Sole
Click here to learn what Phyllis enjoys about living in the Foothills