Why some homes don’t get shown
Ask Phyllis: a blog series of frequently asked real estate questions. Email us here
We have had our home on the market for two months. During the first couple of weeks we had about 15 people come by to look but since then, we only get a couple different ones a week. I keep reading that there is a shortage of homes for sale, so why is our home the exception to the rule?
Some homes don’t get shown, simply because the first showing is online. Google your address and click on the links. My initial thought is that the photographs used are either non-existent or very poor which would explain a homebuyer’s lack of enthusiasm.
When entering a listing in the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) I and most Realtors® enter remarks which are auto populated to dozens of real estate web sites. These remarks are essentially ad copy which should entice a buyer into wanting to personally view your home.
Is your home easy to show? Certainly there can be reasons not to use a lockbox but each additional layer involved in making appointments decreases showings. If you do not have a lockbox then you and your Realtor® need to come up with a system. A typical plan would be that you have your home in show condition each day by 10 AM, and that your agent can call you with two hour notice for a showing appointment. As the home seller you need to make your home available for showings and once your agent calls and leaves a message it is your job to have the home in show condition Picture this scenario:
• Realtor® Kris receives a call from clients that they want to see home seller’s home.
• She phones listing agent Phyllis to show the home today at 4 PM
• Realtor® Phyllis calls the home seller. The seller does not answer the phone.
• Realtor® Kris and the buyers are waiting. Realtor® Phyllis is waiting.
• You call Realtor® Phyllis back but she is with other clients and can’t pick up your call.
• Realtor® Phyllis responds to home seller’s message within one half hour and returns Realtor® Kris’ call (let’s assume Realtor® Kris is waiting by the phone and picks up this call).
• Realtor® Kris now calls her clients (a couple with two schedules) to confirm the appointment.